When I was young, I thought I would always be young. It's true in a way, I still feel young (other than everything hurting) in my mind, I like young music and humor (except for The Office, still don't really get that type of humor, but I do try) and anyway, my point is, when I was young, I never thought I would die. Now, I'm pretty sure I will. Someday. Not sure why it never really occured to me before. But now, I want to make sure I leave something behind. And not just a bad smell.
This is another function of my quilting. I want to make something (quilts), that maybe a few of them will last for a few years after I'm gone, maybe even a hundred years after I'm gone. I want people to say Old Aunt Jana or Nanajana or Nonnie, or whatever I become to these wonderful decendants of mine, that I made these back in the early part of the 21st Century. And they will love them for either their beauty or weirdess or warmth or memories and in turn, I get to live on in these memories. Do other quilters feel this way? Do they wonder what will happen to their quilts? Do they preplan memories?
And I want to give something to my children, I want to teach them something that they will tell others, My Mom Taught Me How To Do That. I can damn sure tell you it won't be cooking with my daughter or my son, both of them get all prickly when I try to give them any cooking tips. Maybe I can do sewing for my daughter, although right now, I'm not too hopeful. So for now I'll do it for myself and maybe someday I'll pass it on to a grandson or granddaughter. I guess I can still try to teach Kyle to quilt, but not sure he will sit still for it, either.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment